Thursday 23 August 2012

Getting Yourself Together Part 1 - YOUR ATTITUDE? Kick it to the Curb! Be Approachable!


Lets rewind back to approximately two years ago, before any self-evaluation was conducted; I was the queen of attitude. Without uttering a word, my expressions said UNAPPROACHABLE. I never thought my attitude was an issue. Of course working with others was close to impossible, maintaining a relationship past 3 months was foreign to me, being approached by worthy, head strong, MEN was nothing I was used to. But I was convinced that I was perfect just the way I was. Ignorance should have been my middle name because if anyone told me I had an attitude problem I would concur and see it as a compliment rather than truly seeing it for what it was – A PROBLEM. It was a problem that was blocking love and most importantly blocking happiness.

I think the issue that many of us have when it comes to change is we refuse to see the manifestation of what needs to be altered. Our attitudes are a reflection of our environment. Your friends, families and surroundings all play a role in who you are. If what goes on around you is normal to you then you will be conditioned to be the same way. Thinking my attitude was acceptable was partly because my “inner circle” never detested it. Why? Because they were exactly the same. I felt it was okay to speak like a sailor, disrespect my elders, break hearts without any care in the world, and to treat others poorly without any second judgment. I felt this way because those around me enforced it by finding it humorous and entertaining. It took deep reflection to realize that those in my "inner circle" were not laughing with me they were laughing at me; simply finding entertainment within my ignorance. I am guilty no doubt about it.

Lets get to the point of this article now shall we? Your attitude makes you approachable and can also make you unapproachable. Believe it or not but you can tell a lot about a person by their facial expressions, their walk, the sureness in their voice and how they handle emotional situations. 

On some occasions, while at social events, I study those around me. I notice common “unapproachable” traits in women. Some stand in a corner and never flash a smile, others' mouths poke out more by the second. Question – How can you expect a man to come up to you when you reek of negativity? No man wants a confrontational woman and just by the looks on our faces a man can spot a Ms. Attitude from a mile away! 

The same goes for men. Your cockiness is not attractive, your confidence is. If a woman sees you flirting with every girl in the room she will not approach you. You have “Player” written all over you. A woman reaches a point where she no longer wants a BOY she needs a man. Someone who looks like a MAN, speaks like a MAN and approaches her like a MAN. So kill the saggy pants, slang and side way talking. When you approach a woman treat it like a job interview. Would you use distasteful words to land a 6-figure salary occupation? So do not use distasteful words when trying to meet a woman. Better yet – this goes for both men and women- KILL the sailor mouth. It is not attractive and it is a part of molding your attitude and maturity. Use different words to describe your emotions.

When I say we are cleaning up our attitude that means we are cleaning up our posture, our speech and our mindsets. Smile folks smile! Make yourself look approachable. Don’t know if you are an approachable person? How do people act around you at work? Do they seem timid when it comes to approaching you about a situation? How do your friends feel about opening up to you? These are small ways that you can learn about your attitude. How easily you get frustrated is also important. Find ways to channel your anger and ways to disallow others to have an effect on your emotions. Your attitude can kill your chance at ever experiencing real love.

So be approachable. Be charming. Be an adult. If you were still chasing girls and boys you would have stopped reading this article a long time ago. We are on the prowl for men and women. But until you get yourself together they will never approach you. Stay on this journey with me…



The Written Words of AJT

No comments: