Wednesday 24 August 2011

"Baby I don't Know How To Tell You This But- Your Breath Stinks!"

I know when you read this topic you laughed a little (LOL) BUT I promise you that this is a serious situation in relationships. For some reason people are too afraid to tell their partners the truth. Personally, if my breath stinks I expect my partner to be the first to tell me. What if I have a meeting that day and have to speak in front of a dozen individuals? Who would want to do that with breath smelling like garlic and onions? Hygiene flaws takes away from our image. You can have the best outfit on but if your breath stinks, or your hair is not combed, or your nails look like they have been bitten to the core, others will take note of it. Sorry, it’s the superficial world we live in. Having a partner who takes care of you when you need a peppermint or lint brush to the back of your jeans is not something to be ashamed about, but it’s something to be grateful for!

How can we get upset when our partners try to correct something they believe looks downright foolish or strange? I remember talking to a friend and they told me that their girlfriend became outraged when he told her that her nail polish was all over her big toe! She replied, “It’s not like anyone is going to be looking all up in my toes! Forget it I’m not going out anymore!” Was that outrageous response really necessary? Be proud that your man caught that big toe full of red nail polish and corrected you on it. We want our partners to look good from head to toe so when a correction needs to be made WE NEED TO MAKE IT!

I guess people get embarrassed when it comes to correcting their partners. I remember being in a restaurant and this lady had cheese hanging from her chin. Now if I had noticed it tables away I am pretty sure her date noticed it as well for he was sitting right across from her. However, I doubt he corrected her because hand in hand they walked out of the restaurant with that cheese still hanging from her chin. If I get home after a date to find a string of cheese hanging from my chin I would be upset that my date didn’t tell me. Instead of indulging in the conversation and getting to know each other he was trying to ignore the cheese, which most likely distracted him from any conversation we were having.

I say - Corrections come with comfort. What I mean by this is if you’re too afraid to correct a small issue on your partner’s appearance then maybe you are not as comfortable with them as you think. In a comfortable relationship, telling your woman or man to wipe their nose should not be embarrassing but endearing. Be glad someone cares enough to say “Hey baby wipe your nose”. It’s quite simple. Why do we take offense to it?

I think the outrage comes from women more than men (sorry ladies). Let’s be honest. We do not want our man telling us that our shoes don’t match or that our nail polish color is ugly. But think about it: whom are we looking good for? We are looking good for our men so why get upset when they tell us what they like? When viewing it from this point of view our entire perspective changes. Be glad that you have a man who notices that your shoes do not match because there are some men with a lack of knowledge in that area.

To get even more specific on personal hygiene; it is important to keep in mind your partner’s expectations of your persona hygiene. For instance: hair. I am not talking about the hair on our heads (wink). I hardly meet couples that DO NOT mind the “jungle”. Men like a woman to keep it V cut and trimmed or bare. Women do not want to feel like they are being intimate with a young boy therefore less is best but none is scary. However, I know we get lazy. Workdays are long, the kids are a drain therefore we have less time to pamper ourselves and take care of that jungle. Still, it is necessary. The worse thing that can happen between two individuals in a relationship is to lose the sexual attraction. What if while you and your partner are in the middle of intimacy, and as they make their way downtown, they get lost in your jungle? That want for intimacy can disappear at that very moment. Whose fault is that? We are grown adults and if your man or woman tells you “Hey honey can you take care of that down there” do not be embarrassed that they are asking you to be more hygienic, instead be grateful. Would you rather them stop being intimate with you and go to someone else, or would you rather they tell you their likes and dislikes and allow you to fix them? Communication is the solution for so many things but for some strange reason we make it more difficult than it has to be.

So stop being so offensive folks. Your girl wants you to get rid of the chest hairs because it is irritating her, do it! If your man wants you to stop biting your nails because it is disgusting to him then FIGHT THE HABIT! When your partner tells you your breath stinks do not be quick to jump at them and take it as an insult. They are looking out for you. They love you, and with love comes honesty in every form of the way. Learn to take criticism from the person you love and be ready to give it as well because in real love NOTHING gets held back. It’s free! When you have a true love you are eachother’s best friend. Let’s start acting like it!

The written words of AJT

No comments: